One of the main activities of the group is a monthly photography competition which has an ‘open’ and ‘themed’ category. Members can enter 3 images, one based on the ‘Theme’ and two in the “Open Category”. The format varies between print or digital entries and members are divided into three sections: Novice, intermediate or advanced.
All competition entries should include ‘your information’ as follows:
- Image Title: Your title for the image
- Section: Novice, Intermediate or Advanced
- Category: Open or Themed
- Membership Number: Each member is assigned a number when they join the club
e.g. “Me and my dog – Novice – Open -068”
The images submitted for competitions can be any size, however, they must fit on a mounted board, which measures 16” X 12” (40 x 30cm). Mount boards can be black, white or cream and are available through the club for €1. Please include ‘your information’ on print entries on the back of the mount board
Entries for digital competitions should be submitted by email to St Brigids Competition Entry email address: email@example.com and should be resized to 2000 pixels on the longest side and not more than 2MB in size. The resolution should be set at 72DPI (dots per inch).
Member information for digital Images should be contained in the file name. e.g Title-Section-Category-Member number, for example “Meandmydog – Novice – Open -068.jpg”
All competitions are assessed by an external judge(s) who award points. The judges critique each entry and explain the rationale behind the points awarded. Points are awarded and prizes are presented at the end of the year to the member in each category who achieves the highest points.
Please note competition rules to keep in mind:
- Entries will ONLY be accepted from fully paid members of the group,
- Late entries will NOT be accepted,
- The same picture can NOT be entered more than once in a club competition, no matter what changes have been made to said image. A similar image taken at the same time/event/place can be entered